the mudpond

It's good to let things breathe in your imagination because often your initial response to it is not the best thought-through response. I savour little glimpses of life. Mine and those of people who turn me sideways and around. Friend or stranger. Even a child. (the world looks different from down there) Sometimes an author, photographer, artist. I let things saturate and incubate here. Hopefully, deeper meanings can percolate up and flower.

Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

A stray cat.

5/21/2005

Uprighteous and Interfering So-So

I MUST SAY, I feel enlightened. I am also deeply traumatised.
I sound inconsistent and confusing, rite?

You see, I just took a quiz on moral intuitions and taboos. And well, it seems the ultra-comprehensive analysis says:

ONE: I am an uprighteous and interfering so-so.

Eeeyeer! No lah! Got meh?

TWO: I believe the government should interfere a lot more in our private lives.

What?... Hell NO!!... Who say wan?... NEVER!!
Don't simpry say okay, or I'll sue you until the Twelfth of Never!

This means:
THREE: I am a hypocrite.
Now, come on lah, how can this be?

FOUR: That fatty Lilian woman is damn right. I am also FATSO.
I MUST STOP pretending my belly is not protruding. Pfftt.

Self-disgust aside, I found the chook and puss questions somewhat
disturbing. I mean, it's really quite sick. Although I am neither vegan nor cat lover, my Yuk Factor shot through the roof.

Okay, I won’t spoil it (further) for you except to say the quiz asks you to think morally about specific situations and make judgments on these scenarios.

1. flag desecration
2. chicken-lover
3. cat-lover
4. brother-sister love, and
5. the obligatory deathbed promise.

It’s a rather thought-provoking exercise. Quite fun actually. Go on,
take the quiz and discover your own moral beliefs.

P/S: If you’re seriously looking to develop and refine your views on moral theory, this
ethical inventory is a good start. It's recommended text in some ethics courses.

|

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll love you 'til the poets run out of rhyme.. until the 12th of Never... They don't write songs like that anymore, do they? Between Elvis and ONJ.. I think I still like Donny Osmond's version most :p

4:57 PM  
Blogger 5xmom.com said...

Gosh, something is seriously wrong with me. And I don't know what because the analysis is too difficult for me to understand. Say, the normal range is 0.12, I scored 0.67. Normal range is 0.30, I scored 1.0. I think it means I have no moral! Oh, I am bad, so bad. So are you, for recommending me to test it out. Hahahaha.

Have a good weekend! It's the Holy Trinity and I learnt something - St.Augustine said my brain is too small to comprehend things, so I better don't try. I will stick to blind faith.

9:31 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

tv smith,
I prefer the Donny rendition too. Interestingly, you'll also find 'poets run out of time' in Van McCoy's "Baby I'm Yours" too.

Lyrics here: http://www.ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/lyrics/b/baby_im_yours.txt

8:40 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:45 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

God heavens lilian!

No morals? Far from it. You're an ULTRA! Yeah, ultra moralising, interfering and universalising.
Happy now?

Hey this may be a second calling: moral policing. Yunno, like the 'snoop squad'? sticking to blind faith should just fit so well.

Kekeke... muahaha...

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com