the mudpond

It's good to let things breathe in your imagination because often your initial response to it is not the best thought-through response. I savour little glimpses of life. Mine and those of people who turn me sideways and around. Friend or stranger. Even a child. (the world looks different from down there) Sometimes an author, photographer, artist. I let things saturate and incubate here. Hopefully, deeper meanings can percolate up and flower.

Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

A stray cat.

7/01/2005

A Big Deal

I HADN'T EVER thought it something necessary to explain, but it’s come up then, and now and then. In ways mundane as the weather. Or hazardous as fireworks.

It has merited its own dedicated entry, so it’s obviously blogworthy. Some bloggers feel obliged to offer a
polite explanation for their practice. Some have absolutely no need for it. And there are also people who feel compelled to come up with a policy on it.

Etiquette, gratis, protocol... but not everyone finds a request flattering, it could lead to a cyber slugfest.

Means of congeniality. Cause of acrimony. A toolbox. A tinderbox.

Uhm... it can get you dissed or worse :P

Okay, preface loaded. Or was that a loaded preface? *evil grin* No matter. The point is, linking don't seem to be the small deal I originally thought it to be. I hereby revise my earlier opinion. So okay, let me now tell you the what, why and how of my link list, then.

I’m still a neophyte blogger, naturally, I’m still trying to get to know all the blokes... oops... blogs on the block. I'm still scoping blogs, or as the movie production guys might put it, still recee-ing the scene.


Yes, I know recee-ing is done before the shoot, not after, but hey PPS alone has over 1400 members. What about those that don’t *ping*, those you chance upon like a shiny coin on the road - in someone’s post or link list? Were I to check them ALL out before starting to blog, I’ll never have blogged or shot anything, right?

Oops.. digressed.

Just as I give myself time to get to know a person, I’ll also monitor a particular blog over a period of time to acquaint myself with the blog(ger). And so it is, over time, some links will disappear while new ones appear, as I get round to them. Some links come, some links stay, some links go, lah!

Along with my news and resources links, those that stay have obviously entrenched themselves into my daily blog diet. They are habitual, no, addictive clicks; some of which I even visit a few times a day.


On both ends of this link continuum are blogs I NEVER link. That does not mean I don't visit them. Some I visit occasionally, a few, regularly. The former, when they turn up at Petaling Street - if the entry title entices, I click lah! The latter, aiya! they're so wildly popular or femes, links to them are literally scattered helter-skelter, mana-mana aje boleh dapat. Why bother creating links when you can just pick them up wherever you happen to be? :) No need to link, lor.

Yarp*, that’s it. Why and how I link. I think ^_^ So you? What about you ah?

My apologies, this is one of those days I find myself scraping the barrel for a blog topic.

* expression borrowed without permission, from t-boy. Link "aje lah", as they say :)

|

4 Comments:

Blogger thquah said...

Actually I link because I feel there is some connection with the blog. Nevertheless some blogs I don't link but do visit them regularly are on my favourites.If I do link I don't tell the blogger because too shy lo.Just link only.What the big fuss? Link no link aiyah all the same meh.If ppl link me I would be honour but not on cloud 9.

9:22 PM  
Blogger T-Boy said...



Yet Another Ramadhan Post?

It isn't Ramadhan.

That's confusing.

I don't link at all, if I can help it really. It's just policy. I also don't allow anonymous comments, which means, that I'll probably never be popular.

1:02 AM  
Blogger percolator said...

t-boy,
*yarp* I like it, and since you don't carry that Creative Commons Licence thingy, I decided to steal it. Heh! Heh!
I appropriated it for my own silly purpose, turned an acronym into an expression.
I don't mind the mice (anonymice) at all. The rate I'm going, the way I blog, popularity doesn't seem to be an issue or priority or problem. Which is fine. Cheers

8:43 AM  
Blogger percolator said...

th,
Too shy to tell.. yes, same here.

I link them when it's relevant and appropriate to what I'm writing about. If they like it, very often, people are nice enough to pop by and say thanks. Humble as well, since they are established, femes, whatnot and I'm just a newbie.

If they don't like it, well I'm prepared for whatever backlash. When I link, I ensure I can justify if the link puts them in less than positive light. But so far, I haven't had any probs.

Then, there are those you link (favourably), who don't give a damn either. Either b'cos they are not aware or they simply don't feel obliged. Fair enough.

But call me silly, blame it on my upbringing, I do believe there are circumstances where reciprocity is a 'nice' thing to do. Somewhat like if you always greet me first, once in a while I should make an effort to greet you first at the first opportunity.

If I have linked you many times, and we 'know 'each other, at least pop in ONCE, not necessarily to say thank you, but even hi would be, not Cloud 9 but just very nice indeed.

Well, in these cases, there is a strong smell of 'superiority' LOL!! Anyway, though I may note it, I certainly don't grieve over it.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com