the mudpond

It's good to let things breathe in your imagination because often your initial response to it is not the best thought-through response. I savour little glimpses of life. Mine and those of people who turn me sideways and around. Friend or stranger. Even a child. (the world looks different from down there) Sometimes an author, photographer, artist. I let things saturate and incubate here. Hopefully, deeper meanings can percolate up and flower.

Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

A stray cat.

5/02/2005

Don't Worry, Be Fatty

REJOICE! I ANNOUNCE to you a great joy. Fat finally wins.

Woh!, what a startling and complete reversal of all facts believed about optimal weight. Finally, something to deconstruct media images of skinny-is-beautiful.


Viva la Fatty
Posted by Hello

Over the past six months I have quietly packed on a few (well ok, several) extra pounds. Or rather those fat cells stealthily crept up all over me. Maybe a wee bit plump or pudgy, I would concede privately.

Alas, what airy-fairy self-delusion.

"Sudah gemuk ah (?)" was the candid greeting-with-a-ColgateGrin from my friendly newsvendor who recently returned from a home trip to India

Woo-hoo! so now, fat is not so bad after all. Chubby will outlive Skinny. Yay! Hip-Hip Hooray! Fat is healthier-than-thou thought. Go lah, eat and be merry!

As someone who has vainly kept those skimpy Size 8 Table Eight dresses, I can barely contain my relief and delight. With the benchmark for overweight revised upwards, I can from now on, safely exhale even with clothes on. At Size 10, I am not overweight, I am slim, once more. This definitely calls for a celebration.

And so... on this second merry day of May, pleasantly-plump me celebrated the joyful revelation by pigging out at a buffet lunch. Never one to do stuff by halves, I gleefully went the whole hog - a leisurely tuck-in-till-you-burst marathon that lasted from noon till 5pm. *blush*

Now in surfeit and weighed down by all that food, the euphoria has passed. Good sense is starting to weigh in, heavily.

1. The only clear conclusion is that the exact number of deaths caused by weight can’t be measured.
2. The weakening mortality effect might be due to improved treatments for obesity.
3. It's likely they have minimised the implications. I might live longer being fat, but I’ll likely be sicker.

With these facts sinking in, I'm beginning to feel quite disgusted with myself.

|

8 Comments:

Blogger sleepwalker said...

Well at least you need not have to worry about getting wrinkles so soon ;-)

2:52 AM  
Blogger percolator said...

lol yes. fat does fill up space to keep the skin taut, albeit on the face. Elsewhere it shows up as cellulite or new folds. Urrgh!

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Percolator, did you photoshop that Mona Lisa yourself? :D

~wits0~

8:59 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

wits0,

Nice eh? I stole it. ;P

9:20 PM  
Blogger lucia said...

hey now i can say the mona lisa looks like me. heh heh. yalah i'm fat too... though some people say not fat but plump. well lately a priest said i'm 'roundish'. haha.

funny. when i calculate my BMI it doesn't show i'm overweight though yet i look fat.

well, never mind. to me i don't mind being fat as long as i'm healthy (and not too overweight!).

9:51 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

hahaha... lucia,

My idiot brother just gave me a new nickname - 'meatball' - in hokkien.

Oh well, at least I am still scrumptious. :)

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Percolator, you might still find some funny mona lisa etc. at Lucia's yoursaymysay egroup (files section). It's fun manipulating images. ;)

Ah, Lucia if you are short you can only expand sideways, no? Rotund kinda.

To be really overweight(and short)makes one wobble and waddle when walking. Never a pleasure to be found trailing behind such a "vehicle" in a narrow corridor. Haha, makes people behind cuss.

Actually there are 3 general body types : Ectomorph, mesomorph and and endomorph.
http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/ghf/positive-self-image.htm
Usually there're some overlapping of types with certain biasness towards a certain type.

~wits0~

1:44 AM  
Blogger percolator said...

wah... Ectomorph, mesomorph and and endomorph. pffftt!

I won't pretend to know what these labels mean.

But ending with 'morph' somehow gives me a sinister perception of the 'irreversibility'.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com