the mudpond

It's good to let things breathe in your imagination because often your initial response to it is not the best thought-through response. I savour little glimpses of life. Mine and those of people who turn me sideways and around. Friend or stranger. Even a child. (the world looks different from down there) Sometimes an author, photographer, artist. I let things saturate and incubate here. Hopefully, deeper meanings can percolate up and flower.

Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

A stray cat.

6/08/2005

Heavenly Bundles of Sin

THE WORLD IS full of marvellous and wonderful things. From the stunning beauty of the stars to the awesome ever-changing and never-changing oceans to the delighful pleasure of human company.

And scrumptious pyramid-shaped dumplings. Heavenly bundles of sinful pleasure.

Yes, it’s the Rice Dumpling Festival, and I’m in Glutton's Heaven!

Chung (Cantonese) Chang (Hokkien) or Zong Zi (mandarin).


Zong Zi
Posted by Hello

Kiam Bak Chang. Savoury glutinous rice dumplings wrapped in bamboo or reed. They hide sinfully delicious stuffings like mung-bean, chestnut, mushroom, fatty meat and yolk. There is a salty dried shrimp sambal version too.

Nyonya Chang. This sweet-salty dumpling melts my heart in several ways. Bursts of sweetness from the candied winter-melon. The distinctive taste of ground coriander seeds and cekur ginger. The vanilla-like fragrance of pandan. To top it off, a shock of indigo blue-coloured rice. Eaten plain or with kaya, I cannot have enough of them.

Kan Sui Chung. Dainty, golden yellow, soft and springy. Plain or with fillings of sweetened red bean paste, lotus seeds or dates. Dipped in palm sugar syrup. The springy texture against silky smooth caramel flavour. Or against slightly gritty castor sugar.

Yummm..... Delightfully delicious. I'm in Zong Zi Heaven. ^_^

Washed down with a good Kopi-O, it's a wonderfully satisfying meal.

Yes, life is very good indeed.

I had three medium sized Nyonya Changs on Monday, Three HUGE Kiam Bak Changs yesterday. It’s only 3pm now and I’ve had half a dozen dainty kan sui chungs already. I plan to have a few Nyonya ones with kaya later :P

*burp*

Yes, I know gluttony is a cardinal sin.
I KNOW I will pay dearly for this over-indulgence.
I KNOW before the week is out, I will bulge.
AND I KNOW I will certainly look like a dumpling in ALL my dresses. :(
But what the heck, you only live once :D

|

4 Comments:

Blogger 5xmom.com said...

Awww...I still can't find karn sui chang. I so wanna eat them. So, what I did yesterday was boil myself some brown sugar, sago and pandan thong sui. Crazy! I am off to Cameron tomorrow so will probably miss the changs all together. Ish!

4:36 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

5xmom,
aiyoyo. you poor thing! Brown sugar/sago/pandan - this sounds like sago pudding!! Nice, (with a drizzle of fresh santan) but hardly a respectatble substitute for the real thing.

This must mean Penang is not the happenning place for 'chang' ! Over here in KL, we get chang even off-season. Right now, there are heaps in the market, of all sizes and fillings. Can't you order some from the hawker? This weekend, I think I'll try to get a few of those huge pillow shaped ones from Petaling Street (the PS in Chinatown lah). Or go to some Chinese restaurant to sample their specialities... Or do both. Heheh!!

My mom used to make them, but then she's abroad at the moment, hence I get to eat all sorts, (I order 20pcs of 2 varieties and then swop half with a friend who orders 20 of 2 other varities).. not just the type mom makes. That plus those I get from relatives. And I get to eat them all till I get sick, which I am right now - mild fever, slight cough, but still gorging myself.
*burp* I have absolutely no discipline or shame when it comes to food. ^-^

11:18 AM  
Blogger thquah said...

Just had 2 medium kiam chang for breakfast. After 5 days without local food. Phew, chang was a delight.

10:21 AM  
Blogger percolator said...

thquah,
nothing beats home food eh?

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com