the mudpond

It's good to let things breathe in your imagination because often your initial response to it is not the best thought-through response. I savour little glimpses of life. Mine and those of people who turn me sideways and around. Friend or stranger. Even a child. (the world looks different from down there) Sometimes an author, photographer, artist. I let things saturate and incubate here. Hopefully, deeper meanings can percolate up and flower.

Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

A stray cat.

7/12/2005

The Risk of Pleasure

IN HIS BOOK The Exquisite Risk, poet and philosopher Mark Nepo affirms that there are essentially two responses to life - a risky opening up to love and a controlling move into success and isolation.

Well, pleasure is a risk. Of letting go. Yourself - body, heart and soul. You risk losing control. It is a risk of drowning in the exquisite sensation of joy. But you will have to surface sometime. That's the bargain.

Is it worth it? Is it a fair bargain?

And relatedly:

God breaks the heart again and again and again until it stays open.
Hazrat Inayat Khan quoted by Mark Nepo.

|

4 Comments:

Blogger Kamigoroshi said...

Of course when you consider that we naturally fear and shy away from trouble and pain. Then of course love and opening up to another person especially so completely is a risk because with that carries the huge possibility of hurt as well.

Then again...maybe loosing yourself isn't that much of a bad thing. To me at least, in love...it's about being more than you can be by youself. It's about rising above your own limitations with the person you're so bound to with love. I think that's a benefit worth the pain that you will go through along the way.

3:11 PM  
Blogger thquah said...

People use to say No Risk No Pain. Risk of pleasure,it will be worthwhile if the returns are equally great.

10:48 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

edrei,
Yes, I know. Alone, you don't get to grow up. I'm still perplexed at how, after having clocked fairly impressive mileage on this road, I feel at all "growed up" - yet.

th,
If only we can have a crystal ball to show us the returns WILL be great in the pleasurable way. Then nobody would have a problem of investing. I'm running out of resources. No more risks please.

calentropus.
To do or not to do. To be or not to be. All is risk. Just by breathing, life is a risk. What the hick. Pffft!

3:29 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

hey yeah, why not?
So for want of better things to do I'll run thru the list:
#1 This simply isn't an option right now.
#2 Waking up at 5am gives me an incredible zing, even as I do not at all like waking up these days. Dawn has always been my fav time of day. (told ya, I'm and odd duck) Waking at 11 am will freak me out, on my preconception that I miss out on the beginning of whatever, on a few hours of new possibilities. Now, whaddaya make of that?
#3 This is already my default response. I already do too much of this, actually. I bulge, I do. I am even bursting at the seams.
#4 My eyes are already popping every hour on the hour reading blogs as a form of escapism.
#5 I'm barely hanging on myself. It's not a situ I want to subject soem innocent animal to right now. A pet, preferably a dog would be nice for when I am in a better position to give.

Hmmm... now that was a neat little distraction. For a brief moment, I was able to exhale. Thanks, calentropus. Hey, you must smell pretty 'interesting' by the end of the day!! ;P

Folks, please don't mind me. Someday, possibly in a week or month or two, should I revist this space, I shall likely feel very silly/embarassed at the things I've said here. But for now, who cares?

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com