the mudpond

It's good to let things breathe in your imagination because often your initial response to it is not the best thought-through response. I savour little glimpses of life. Mine and those of people who turn me sideways and around. Friend or stranger. Even a child. (the world looks different from down there) Sometimes an author, photographer, artist. I let things saturate and incubate here. Hopefully, deeper meanings can percolate up and flower.

Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

A stray cat.

7/17/2005

A Raining Grace

AS A CHILD, I loved the rain. I have always loved the feel of splattering raindrops on my face and bare legs. I would often run wildly through the puddles, jumping forcefully, allowing the rain to pour over my head and into my eyes... and opening my mouth to taste the rain.
Posted by Picasa

This childlike enjoyment of a refreshing, rinsing rain has remained with me in my adulthood. Dashing outside, face up to the pouring open skies is not unlike delving into a waterfall’s current. The overwhelming sensation of water flooding over is both mystical and magically superb, all at once cleansing and renewing.

The sight of swimsuit-clad kiddies shrieking in glee, jumping in and out of the sprinkler's range on a hot summer's day brings back fond memories of precious and precocious childhood. I still love frolicking in the rain.... the sloshing sound when I ‘accidentally’ step into a puddle and the delicious feeling of squishy shoes and happy toes afterwards.

I love the furious swish-swoosh and flip-flop of windshield wipers and the hiss of rubber tires on rainy streets.

I love the smell of wet grass and raincoats and shaggy coats of dogs... and the sensation of successive showers of soft splatters when the dog shakes and slags it all off.

I love the pitter-patter of heavy raindrops pelting and bouncing off the tightly stretched skin of the umbrella over my head when it’s raining cats and dogs... and the acute, thrilling awareness of my own precariousness: that I am but a mere membrane away from getting thoroughly soaked and drenched.

But more than anything else, I love rain for its power to make indoors seem snugger and safer. With a warm mug cupped between my palms, and looking out the window, rain makes home a refuge from everything outdoors that is un-home, unknown, unfathomable, unsafe...

It has been raining and raining over the past week. And yes, once again, there are signs of new life in the mudpond. Sprouting lettuce and budding water lilies. Busy bees a-buzzin' and butterflies a-flutterin'. And soon those wiggly tadpoles will turn into cute tiny froglets.

But I am reluctant to wander out.

The rain has been hiding much. Dragonflies are hovering and mating above the pond. They’ve been laying their eggs on the water plants. Soon the eggs will hatch into nymphs: tiny feared predators that can overpower the feisty little beady tadpoles and cut short their lives.

Just a-walkin in the rain.. getting soakin' wet...

|

11 Comments:

Blogger Lai Fong said...

Percolator, please check your mail.

1:48 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

tinks,
Got it. Replied. Thanks for the template. ;P Cheers.

ageless,
I'm delighted to find your new blog. I'm hoping that ocassionally you'll pop-in and help me 'untangle' my noodles! ;)

4:22 PM  
Blogger thquah said...

Rain I like it, I don't.Perhaps not everyday it rains than it would be a welcome. Your post reminds me of my childhood playing in the rain.Those were the days........
btw, i did post a comment on your earlier post; Morning After but it did not show.Just wondering what happened to the comment.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Lai Fong said...

The pleasure is all mine, Perks :=)

7:40 PM  
Blogger lucia said...

'rain' had also been an inspiration for poets and song-writers.

how many oldies songs with rain in it you remember?
- rhythm of the falling rain.
- raindrops keep falling on my head.
- crying in the rain.
- rain rain, go away.
- raining in my heart.
- have you ever seen the rain?
(and i suppose lots more)

11:37 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

th,
Yeah, those days parents not so suffocatingly protective. Nowadays kids don't hav eso much fun with nature.
I never see your comment on Morning After, and I didn't do any editing on the post either. No idea why it didn't appear cos I don't moderate, so it can't be b'cos you made X-rated comments haha!!!

lucia,
haha, you missed the obvious one cos I didn't link anything in this post!!

10:09 AM  
Blogger lucia said...

oh you mean fred astaire's 'singing in the rain'?

sheesh! how could i have missed it. :)

9:39 PM  
Blogger Spot said...

hmmm..must be your watery recent posts that got me inspired to wax lyrical about water beds. huak.huak.

3:15 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

spot,
Now you've planted a germ of an idea... ;P

3:36 PM  
Blogger Shiny Blue Black said...

mmm I love the rain - except for when it makes traffic jams :(

Nothing better than curling up at night with the rain falling outside.

11:39 AM  
Blogger percolator said...

hi IB,
thanx for dropping by. Yup, curl up with a good book, a warm mug... "all I want is a room somewhere, far away from the cold night air...Oh, wouldn't it be loverly!"

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com