the mudpond

It's good to let things breathe in your imagination because often your initial response to it is not the best thought-through response. I savour little glimpses of life. Mine and those of people who turn me sideways and around. Friend or stranger. Even a child. (the world looks different from down there) Sometimes an author, photographer, artist. I let things saturate and incubate here. Hopefully, deeper meanings can percolate up and flower.

Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

A stray cat.

7/21/2005

The Diamond Glint

A BOLD FEW have actually inquired. Oh-so-subtly, or cattily. Lady-like, they all had a sharp, bright gleam in their eyeshadow-accented eyes when they asked. They tell me they have caught it: the frequent but fleeting hints of glitter.

Well, it wasn’t the sparkle of my just-polished pearlies when I flashed my dazzling smile in greeting. Nor was it the mischievous glint in my eye as I engaged my dinner companions in scintillating conversation :P

Actually, it was when my fingers casually flicked my hair back as I stood beside my car and promised to meet up again soon, that the afternoon sun caught the diamond glints.

It was when I tossed my head back in happy laughter during the after-dinner conversation, that the downlights captured a cascade of tiny, tiny, shiny glints.

No, it wasn’t the winking in my ear-lobes or the swinging drop of brilliance dangling from my neck or the slithering shimmer encircling my wrists.

It is rather like the forgotten, tiny shred of silver tinsel on a dark green arm of the undressed Christmas tree, that quickly catches a child's hungry eyes. It didn't escape their sharp eyes and quicksilver minds. It held their piercing gaze and left them wondering. It left a faint smile on their glossy lips.

Well, I know I certainly have not earned it. Yet. Nor have I suddenly come into any inheritance.

Posted by Picasa


It seems like only yesterday I was youthful. I awoke one morning this week to find more than a few gray hair strands where once only dark brown lived.

Curses!

I frantically parted my hair in the mirror, moaning in dismay at the perplexing arrival of the color gray. And then the next morning: more gray strands. Still more the following morning.

This can't be. Others get gray hair, not me. Of course it didn't happen overnight. But it's seemed that way.

This morning, I am an ascending old lady *sniff*

I must be greying at the grind. Like the workplace, my hair bulbs have become an "increasingly hostile place" for melanocytes to work properly. They are slowly losing the battle and my hair is becoming melanin-free.

Amid the hair not as luxurious as the days of yore, the (shallow) wrinkles have also arrived. A limber body is now visited by the odd stiffness. Amid all this, is born, a very hungry desire for sound investments.

Death is just around the corner, my precious.

Such being the case, I think I should wear it pixie-short from now on, whaddaya think? Should I dye it?

Why do flashes of silver or salt and pepper confer dignity on men and not women?

Curses!

Should I trade in my sparkling bright diamonds for the milky lustre of Mikimoto pearls?

Test: What’s your body’s real age

|

7 Comments:

Blogger thquah said...

Grow old we have too.Do we have a choie?But we can grow old gracefully with full of joys and happiness.
Grey hair can still be a sight of beauty.
Live our life to the fullest with whatever we have moment to moment.
The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything they just make the most of everything that comes along their way.
btw,this is the 2nd comment I posted the first one disappeared.

10:22 AM  
Blogger percolator said...

th,
eeiiyoh! why?, how come your comment is being 'eaten up'? I wonder if it's happenning to other people commenting here. Gee.. are you having the same problem in other blogs?

Grey hair for ladies usually means old only, not wise and dignified like it is for men... No fair loh..

11:06 AM  
Blogger thquah said...

No problem with other blogs on comment.As far as I know.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The important thing you have to do in order to look young is; attitude. Me, I am working on a strut. Hehe.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aiyah, mama mia...etc Consider that you can dye your hair, also that greying is better than balding! Begin to count your blessings now at this juction even....No grey hair isn't attractive even on anyone, neither the salt and pepper look to me for it gives an appearance of untidiness and tiredness. Oh but don't dye it the color of cowdung-like.

Some people have very bad color choice esp. when taken wrt their complexion.

What's in the mind, that matters. :D

~wits0~

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hands can be a more assured giveaway while elsewhere don't....didn't you know? ;)

Be comforted on reflection that you didn't do any mean or great damages in your life. That you have recalled all the trifling negative reactions for which you've out grown. Isn't this Grace rightly acquired worthy and more than recompense?

~wits0~

11:25 AM  
Blogger percolator said...

pinky,

Attitude... oh brother, I spent more than my due in my foolish youth. I'm still paying for it now.. lol! Yeah, I can strut my words here in Blogosphere still.

wits0,
No, lah. My grey hairs are still relatively few. The liberty of dramatisation in blogging mah. But, I might color it for fashion's sake. I've worn it natural for so long, I've actually gone against the trend, I've actually gone out of fashion!!! Crikey, I do believe I am becoming eccentric..

Yes, hands. Excepting for the essential wristwatch, I have always gone au natural here too. I'm not sure if adorning them with rings and bracelets will draw attention or distract(?) And apart from the hands, age is telling around the neck as well. Have you ever seen those tight faces and taut limbs and envied their youth, when, wham, you spy a turkey neck...?!!! oOooo..

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com